Home

Monday, July 16, 2012

Union Jack Coffee Table

Here is a coffee table that needed to come out of the 80's and into the year 2012
(the year the Olympics are in London.)



Sanded that orange
 varnish off
just
"not my cup of tea"
and not what I had envisioned for this piece


.  Denied the chevron pattern that wanted to be released.
 (see my chevron side table)

a little dusty....cough.
"crikey"
can't breathe



Taped off the Union Jack.

I was worried that I wouldn't get it right so..... I took my time and looked up here how to do it accurately. 
Such a big help.


stained with vinegar and steel wool 
wanted to leave the natural wood to read as the white on the flag.




Took off the tape and saw all the bleeding under,

oh
 "fiddle sticks"

(wanted to cry)

looked like
"rubbish"



Decided to not give up and taped and painted
 the lines back on all nice and crisp with a colour called

HI HO SILVER. 
(to the rescue)
...really that's name of the paint colour.
( Lone Ranger)


I also primed (KILZ)  and painted the body Smoke Grey (Krylon). 
 I ended up sanding the legs, because they were solid wood and staining them with the
vinegar and steel wool stain. 
 Sealed it all with a poly acrylic.
and.....


Take a "gander" at that

Gorgeous.
or should I say
"cracking"



I loved how it turned out.
  Looks like a "posh" piece from Restoration Hardware.



I wasn't planning to make it for my house, but the colours look so good. 
maybe....


I love the pop of the silver grey lines,
which I don't think I would have gotten if I had left it natural wood.


Life Lesson: 
sometimes things happen for a reason



So,
"Bob's your uncle"
and
"cheerio."

I think I'm going to go and have some "bangers and mash" now.

linking with

Photobucket



19 comments:

  1. Haha! Bangers and mash! This turned out beautifully. I have been having an obsession with union jacks lately.

    Cheerio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great job! Things do happen for a reason! It looks fantastic. I love the staining you did, I've never heard of staining wood with vinegar before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it..such fun! Your post was charming to read...like the humor :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks amazing! Very "Posh" indeed! Now where's my trusty steed? Hi-Ho Silver away!...seriously it ain't a party until you break out the Hi-Ho Silver paint! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is totally cool! I love how that turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your rendition is very fresh and modern!

    ReplyDelete
  7. welcome to 2012, coffee table! :) it looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful transformation!!!
    Your newest follower - would love to have you visit and follow back:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice save....found you over at Gail's MRL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this!!! Vinegar and steel wool is my go to stain for everything! One question... after the bleeding did you just paint the spaces right over the bleed and it covered?
    Thanks I absolutely love it!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! Such a fabulous piece! Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party! Pinning to our Pomp Party board!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, so cute! Great job!! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  13. rarely do things go the way we plan! mistakes can be a good thing!

    I thought that tape wasn't suppose to bleed?

    gail

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd have a hard time giving that one up! I think you HAVE to keep it. Love it to death.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is awesome. I have never done anything like that and your end result is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is seriously amazing. Beautiful transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Karyn, I've nominated you for the Liebster Award! Love your table! Pinned:)
    http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/p/liebster-a.html

    ReplyDelete