Home

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Piano Perfection

A little while ago I had a dear friend who fell in love with the idea of a turquoise piano.  So deeply did she fall that she began to search the classifieds to get one right away.  This is the beauty she found and even talked the woman down to $50.00.  As soon as I saw it I knew it had great potential for an amazing transformation. 


Just look at all the inlay and detail on the front.



Well the first step was to wood fill and sand, because it needed a little hole repair where sconces use to be attached (the owners no longer had them) and some of the wood had chipped away on the curved front.


Then we primed with Kilz Primer (my favorite)


And then painted with Krylon.
(My friend has a lot of green in her house and was initially drawn to go that route, but after some discussion she decided on turquoise and I know she made the right choice.)


Next was to add the glaze


At first she felt sick.
I told her not to worry, that at first you do get a sick feeling at seeing all your hard work looking so dirty.  She relaxed quickly and could see how when wiped down the glaze really only stays in the cracks and edges and gives depth to all that gorgeous detail.
And now it sits in her house looking awesome.


It is really such a beauty and I love how it turned out.









20 comments:

  1. YES!!!!!!!!!!! That's all I have to say about that. And now I'm following.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have never thought to paint a piano blue but I love it! What kind of glaze did you use?
    ~The Lemonista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I would answer this question here. I use Benjamin Moore "Aqua Glaze" in clear, but any waterbased clear glaze with a coloured paint (black or brown)added will work.

      Delete
  3. Wow Karyn, this turned out amazing! Love the pop of color!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this...of course if you get to know me you will soon find out that I love BLUE! I'm a new follower so stop by and visit and follow too if you like. I love to meet new creative blog friends, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - that looks great! I don't think I would have the guts to paint our piano that way...but maybe some other furniture. Thanks for the tip on the glaze as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was a young teacher, I found a piano in a store room at my school. It was the same piano that had been there when I was a child so I was thrilled to be told that I could do as I wanted to with it. It was pulled and pushed into my classroom on its small wheels. I spent several hours during the summer painting it yellow. It was a wonderful and fun addition that my students and I enjoyed for the next twenty-nine years. The paint was retouched a few times and the piano was tuned by my principal who encouraged music education. Even today, after retirement, when I see some of my former students they always remember the yellow piano and the fun we had.

    I love to see old pianos saved and given new life. Yours is fabulous. You can be proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie I love your story and I love the legacy you left behind for the students of your school. Thanks for your kind comments. This piano has been given a new life and is loved by of all of our friends. (There might have to be a couple more piano transformations this summer.)

      Delete
  7. wow..that took courage,,,but oh so worth it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who could look at that piano and keep from smiling? It's just lovely :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the color. Did the paint change the sound of the piano?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that we can tell but, the paino was moved and is waiting tuning.

      Delete
  10. Love the color you chose- it's darling! I host a decorating party at my blog if you want to come share sometime- it going on right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So creative! I've thought about decoupaging a sad piano with sheet music...when I have room for a piano...but THIS is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The piano went from tired looking to bright and beautiful. I can't believe she got it for $50. Now that's negotiation! It looks so beautiful turquoise,and the glazing technique adds the finishing touch. Thank you for sharing you creativeness at Sunday's Best. Now your 50th follower!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this. It looks like it used to belong in an old saloon and now it can fit into any trendy space! Great transformation!

    We'd love to have you link it up at our party (right here!)

    This is a really, really nice redo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks everyone, I loved this project!!!! So rewarding to see something old loved again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it~ the color is gorgeous- stopping back by to say thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am about to paint a piano and came across your painted piano tutorial! From the pictures, it looks like you didn't take it apart. Did any of the moving parts (like the lid to cover the keys) get sticky from being painted?

    ReplyDelete
  17. What color of paint is the turquoise?

    ReplyDelete