Home

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Owl #4 and a mini tutorial

Well I finished owl #4, this one is for my oldest girl, who's favorite colours are pink and green.


I thought I would add a min tutorial on how to make these little owls. 
First trace 2 body shapes onto some felt.


 Then cut out eyes, wings and a triangle for the top of the head.  You can add details on the wings with patterned fabric (just use a straight stitch on your sewing machine).  You will also need two buttons for the eyes.


Start adding more details with embroidery floss.


I'm trying to make each one unique and have been having fun trying different looks


 Sew around the curved edges and stuff with batting, before you stitch the bottom closed.  I chose to add a blanket stitch to the outside to give it a nice finished edge.

6 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I'm working on crochet Amigurumi right now, but I'm so tempted to try and sew (little intimidated by sewing). I've seen some cute stuffies like these before, but I guess I need to read up on blanket stitch and hand stitching. Found you off of House of Hepworths, will follow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you at The Shabby Creek Cottage, and I adore your owls. I planned on ordering the owl ornaments from Crate and Barrel, but I will try to make my own. Thanks for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute!! Thanks for the inspiration!! I'll have to try one of these!
    I found you from Flaunt it Friday!!

    ~*Jessica
    thevelveteenrabbitblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this great tutorial! I'd love for you to link to my Things I've Done Thursdays link party going on now until Saturday at noon EST.


    Melanie
    Sew Rugged @ bear rabbit bear
    http://bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com/2011/11/things-ive-done-thursday-13-fun.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday!

    Melanie
    Sew Rugged @ bear rabbit bear
    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete