OK, I was going to title this, "MY FIRST AND LAST BLACK PIECE", but I thought that sounded too negative. Well to say the least this next project was a KILLER. I picked up this HUGE and very HEAVY dresser for free from a very nice lady who told me that she had wanted to paint the piece for her bedroom, but quickly got discouraged and gave up. (This should have been my clue to not take the dresser!!)
Here it is in the stage where she stopped.
She had taken off all the hardware and had it just loose in one of the drawers....ugh, not another gong show with putting them back on please.
(So I took the time to organize them after I sprayed them RUSTOLEUM hammered bronze to make sure I had them all)
Here's a conundrum:
why is there 3 hanging drawer pulls and only 2 drawers that need them?
also, there is 7 of the others pulls, but I needed only 6
and 5 doohickeys when I only need 4
She also had removed the two front doors....and I hoped that they would go back on easy. Once bitten, twice shy. That sounds negative. Anyways....
One GOOD thing is that this piece is solid with dove tail drawers and very well made. See I can be positive. So I started with lightly sanding everything and priming with KILZ, so far so GOOD. I then decided to paint the piece black because the detail on the drawers are raised more than they are recessed and the glazing process that I usually use wouldn't work as good, but sanding the edges would make them pop and look GOOD. I then painted with black KRYLON satin finish. It looked GOOD. See how I keep using the word GOOD........well, it doesn't last. Then I chose to sand, STOP, if I could go back I wouldn't have sanded. As I sanded it started to dull the black paint and boy that didn't look GOOD. So I thought I would glaze it with a clear glaze. STOP. The glaze dried cloudy/streaky and I had to buff the whole thing, respray with black the really bad areas and then spray with KRYLON acrylic crystal clear to give it a uniform finish (which took many coats).
Here it is in all it's glory.
I thought I would add a little hidden treasure and used the SHARPIE paint pen (oil) and drew on some quatrefoil.
(this was fun and slightly addictive)
Done in 5 days instead of 3, but it looks GOOD.....and done thankfully.
When I was going through all the hardware I found out that there were 13 of these.
I think they are beautiful and I can't wait to find the next project that they could work with.