Home

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Anthro Verdant Vase Tutorial

  I've  been looking at anthropologie for some new vases and came across a Verdant canister with all it's beautiful detail for $78.00.  Now I don't know if it's because of all the heart/Valentine's crafts I've been doing with my kids lately but my first reaction was, that looks cool and slightly like layered foam shapes....*idea* why not glue foam to a glass vase and then spray paint it to look like glazed porcelain.
Done.




It was quite the fun project and I love how it turned out.

This is the original Verdant Canister from Anthro that inspired my vase.

Verdant Canister

Here is a little  tutorial on how to make it.

Take foam hearts and any shaped glass container.


 Cover the glass with paper, to help with adhesion of the foamies.


 Then cut out your shapes.  I chose hearts because we have a lot of these around the house right now and I felt like they were similar to the look of the Anthro canister. I used the hearts in two ways, first like this.


 And then like this.



 Here is another picture to show what they started like (right side) and
what the ended up looking like (left side)


Then I glued them onto the vase.  You could use white glue, mod podge or gel medium.
Let this dry completely.



Then spray on a primer (I used KILZ) let dry and then add two coats of whatever colour of paint (use GLOSS as this gives it a shiny look like porcelain)


One more look.  So pretty.
Cost $ 2.25



linking with



6 comments:

  1. So creative!! It looks amazing! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Went to value village looking for vases and stuff to spray after your last post. Didn't find much. But I also didn't consider the possibility of adding dimension!! You're such a genius at this stuff. It turned out so cool and I don't think anyone would guess that is a glass vase with foam stickers all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative! Turned out awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in the process of making this now!! Thank you so much for the idea. I will send you a picture when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are very creative, what a great re-transformation! It is so pretty. Thanks so much for sharing how to do it. So awesome! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration over at Sunday's Best Par.tay!

    ReplyDelete