I've been sewing a lot and not doing much
painting or furniture
because of the cold weather.
So how could I say no when I was asked to help out with the upcoming stake roadshow sets by
painting some pallets
It gave me the chance to finally do some pallet art and not just have a
full of ideas that I'd like to do one day.
So I said yes and then wisely
recruited some of my friends and they all got on
to help get them done.
So here's what the pallet looked like before we started.
(not your typical old pallet, this baby was solid and took a lot of effort to get apart)
Had to pull off every board but the bottom and then pull out all of these amazing rusty nails.
Don't let their beauty deceive you, they're sharp and after a little run in with one
I got to go and get a tetanus shot.
Thank goodness for
health care as
it cost nothing and took 15 minutes.
After all the nails were removed, I sanded the edges of each board and then fit them back on the front to have a nice solid surface.
I ended up using all of the old nails to put the boards back
on because they were just too darn
pretty and rusty
to throw away.
Then came the fun part...the painting.
I decided to do a mustache for my first one and cut
myself a template from
cardboard and traced it on.
Then I picked a darker colour and outlined the image.
I sanded down some of the edges and flat areas.
Now I needed to age it and used my trusty old vinegar and steel wool mixture that I used during the summer on this coffee table. It totally greyed the paint and started to turn the wood brown.
I then added a lighter blue on top using a dry brush and hardly any paint.
I also was not loving the reddish brown on the mustache and used some dark walnut stain to make it pop a little more.
Here's a closeup of the piece.
I really love the wood peeking though.
So only nine more to show.
It's going to be quite exciting to see what everyone else does.